Wednesday, August 16, 2017

And looking ahead

Thinking of new projects, since I think my knitting mojo (or rather, desire to knit) is slowly returning.

I am considering winding off the Lustro I have in stash for the "Heliopath Vest" and starting that. (I am also thinking maybe this is a good time to finally read the last three books of Harry Potter. Yes, I know it gets "dark" and that it's fundamentally a parable about fighting fascism but....the idea of the good guys winning in the end is appealing. I do have to finish "Moby-Dick" first, though, I think)

I also broke down - after literally years of looking at the pattern - and ordered yarn for the Great Horn-Rimmed. No, not the Rauma listed there - no one retailer had all the "right" colors and at that, at the cheapest, it would be like $140 to make a vest to fit me. Instead, I did my best - flipping between the Rauma distributor site and the KnitPicks site - to pick colors of their Palette yarn that would work. That cost about $60 (and I will probably have yarn leftover as Palette is a longer put-up than the Rauma).

Yes, I know I said I hated doing colorwork. Yes, I have another colorwork vest yarn (the Edward VII vest from Folk Vests) tucked away. But I don't know. For some reason I want some big complex sink-into-it project right now. I might even cast this on (provided I have the right sized needle free) when the yarn arrives. (It is due Saturday, but it's also coming SmartPost, so it might not get here until Monday or later....)

I am also telling myself that that owl vest is NOT too "twee" and "young" for someone of my age and necessary gravitas (necessary, given some of the students I've had - if you act too much like them, you lose some of the respect. And also necessary, I think, because I feel that it is more becoming to someone of my size to carry herself with gravitas than otherwise).

However, speaking of "twee" and "young" - I keep looking at the big "polar bear head purse" (a round, cartoony polar bear head that has a catch at the top and a string so you can wear it like a purse) and realizing I never will feel comfortable using it in public. I am trying to decide (I might have to ask my mom) if it's something my niece would like or, failing that, seeing if I can find a friend who has a kid who would want it. I kind of hate giving it up because it's cute but, as I said, I'd never feel brave enough to walk out of the house carrying it (not even as part of a costume, I suspect).

I also think I need to dig out some of my Jane Brocket books and look at them again. (Sadly, she seems to have quit blogging - it's been more than a year - but at least I can revisit her writing). I think I need some comfort and coziness and domesticity right now.

Another vague thought: buy a bunch more row-counters the next time I'm at JoAnn's (possibly Friday afternoon) and just start all the projects I want to, and work on whatever I feel like, and figure everything will eventually get finished somehow. I don't know. I am in the mood to start all the things which can be bad news for getting anything finished.

1 comment:

purlewe said...

oh man, that vest is AWESOME. You will look amazing in it. And I have tips/help if you want any verbal encouragement since I love knitting colorwork so much.