Monday, October 16, 2017

And it's Monday

Saturday was pretty much a blur of work, both in the field and at home.

Sunday I did pick a little bit on the Owls sweater (this is going faster than I thought; oddly, I think things that have numbered rows, where I can go "hey, I did five rows today" instead of the "knit five inches plain" tend to go faster for me). I should photograph it again at some point but I JUST started the tail on the big owl so I want to get a little farther first.

I also started a new pair of "simple" socks - one of the "ribbed sock" patterns (I forget which one, it's the 63-stitch one) from Nancy Bush's "Knitting Vintage Socks" book. I am using a Biscotte and Cie. yarn in a colorway called "Apple's Heart." (Am surprised the name on the site is in English; this is a Quebecois company and many of the names are in French). As you might guess, there's red in there, but also white (well, of course: the heart of the apple) and a green stripe with black flecks (seeds). I bought the yarn partly because I liked the colors but also partly because I liked the name.

I worked on that (just got a couple rounds done) while watching (on DailyMotion) the MLP episode I missed on Saturday because I was in the field. (I like that. I like that I can miss something I really want to watch and I don't have to wait and plot for the re-run to come on, or wait until it's out on DVD - and of course, when I was a kid, none of that existed, so if you missed something, you missed it, and being 'grounded from tv' for bad-behavior right before a show you REALLY wanted to see was a serious threat).

The episode was cute. ("Secrets and Pies")- Pinkie Pie keeps foisting pies on Rainbow Dash. It turns out Rainbow doesn't actually like pie* but, not wanting to hurt Pinkie's feelings, she doesn't tell her, and then it just keeps going, and at some point, it's gone on so long, RD CAN'T tell Pinkie, but then she has to and....yes, the "be honest with your friends" message is one that's been done before, but it was a cute episode. (And a little call back to the HILARIOUS AJ "I learned nothin'! I already knew!" lesson from the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy episode)

It felt to me, in a way, like a throwback to the earlier seasons of the show, and I mean that in the best possible way - simple and cute and relaxing to watch, no heavy "grown up" moral and no tension building for future weeks.

(*Confession: I was afraid that this was going to turn out to be a "message" episode in the Very Special sense, and it would turn out that either RD had to "stay slim" to be able to fly, or else she had Pony Diabetes but didn't want to tell Pinkie. Fortunately they didn't go either of those places, it was simple dislike)

This week is a short week. Today, tomorrow, and Wednesday will still be busy, but then I get a long weekend. Tentative plans are to deep-clean (mostly decluttering, really) the house on Thursday, I meet up with Laura in Longview on Friday, and Saturday, my plans are mostly to stay home and either knit or sew. (I still have to get the binding on the latest quilt.

No comments: