Wednesday, December 13, 2017

the invigilating sweater

Which is what I will think of this version of  Grasse Matinée as, seeing that at least 85% of the knitting on it was done over the past year while invigilating exams.


I finished the last bits on the second sleeve last night, and wove the ends in this afternoon:

grasse matinee

This was an "initial attempt" with less-expensive yarn to try out fit (it's a little floppy but I'm not sure going down a size would work) and make sure there were no infelicities in the pattern. I have some tweedy yarn for a second one - this is just a self-striping yarn (Deborah Norville's "Serenity sock yarn" bought on a super-closeout - I think I paid less than $30 for the yarn for the sweater, and I have at least one skein left over).

Only problem with striping yarns: increases and decreases SHOW in where the stripes fall. That pale stripe falls in an...unfortunate....place when you're built like I am.

g matinee 3

(Or maybe not-unfortunate, I don't know, it's just I never intend to draw attention to that area).

I'm pretty happy with it, on balance - it is a nice lighter weight sweater and on really cold days, will work UNDER other things.

No comments: